Disclaimer

WARNING: There may be spoilers or pictures of Geocaches on my blog. If you don't want to know, don't read any further. If you are looking for help on difficult caches you are at the wrong blog. Please also note, there may be some sarcasm somewhere in this blog so read on carefully

Monday, February 25, 2008

Geocaching or Work?

Does anyone ever have to decide between caching or work. Sometimes I wonder if people in my area have jobs. It never fails I'll get an e-mail that there is a new cache in the area. Of course I have to work the next morning. Or better yet it gets published while I'm at work. So I'll check if anyone found the cache. And the FTF log will read something like this:

"I was laying around the house and I received the e-mail there was a new cache. So I summoned my driver to get the Caddy (hm hm hm I felt like slumming it today). My driver took me to the coords. We got to GZ and it was in a tree so Jefferies knelt down whilst I climbed upon his back to retrieve the cache. etc........"

I think I need to hire "people" to do my caching for me. I'll still be there, I just need like a spotter for those times I can't spot the cache. Then I'll sign the log and we'll be on our way. Or better yet a cache guard dog. You know one to protect the cache until I get there to claim the FTF prize.
Photobucket

Anyway I got 2 new cache e-mails last night. They were both along the route I take to work. So I loaded them into my GPS and went to bed. (not that I could sleep)

I went for the first on my way to work. It was an urban micro. Sadly I came up empty. It did feel good to know only 3 people logged finds. I'm sure I was there before all of them!

The next one I hit on my way home. It was along Kickapoo Creek. (If you are from my area you will know what I'm talking about) There are a lot of bluffs along said creek. This cache should have been named "Remember how out of shape you are" So I climbed up the bluff that is at an 89 degree angle. Nearly dead I found GZ.

I found nothing! It was overcast and raining so my GPS was all over the place. I spend about 30 minutes looking for the cache. I didn't want to give up but I had to pick the kids up at some point. I was just about to head down the hill when I decided to check over the first place I looked. After looking really hard I found the cache about an arms length down a log. I grabbed it. It was a cool container made from pvc. I opened it up and in all my cockiness I thought "What no FTF prize?" I flip the logbook to the first page and guess what? Someone else had snagged the FTF at 8:30 this morning. Somewhat disappointed I signed the log, replaced the cache and headed down the hill. Well it was more like a controlled fall.

Kudos to the guy who logged both of the FTFs. There truly are no hard feelings. I'll have my day, someday

So my first 2 FTF tries came up empty. I guess I just need to call in next time there is a new cache. I think I'll hide a cache then claim the FTF on it. I bet it's been done before!

3 comments:

tonka_boy said...

Hide a few caches under one of the kids profiles, then you will always be FTF!

The Northwoods Geocats

Anonymous said...

I have yet to even see a FTF posted. Of course, I've been doing this no more than a week or so. Like your blog, will be throwing it on my RSS.

Anonymous said...

hahaha... work is really a big hassle sometimes. :)